Yoga Elders

In my studies of yoga, I have found a nice website called Yoga U Online which interviews yoga experts about yoga.  They offer webinars for a fee (between 15 and 75 dollars or so).  They also do a lot of promotional MP3's interviewing people who are teaching classes to promote their classes.  I always listen to these freebies.

There are lots of teachers interviewed who have been teaching for twenty or thirty years.  Many of them are also physical therapists or acupuncturists or Ayurvedic doctors or regular western doctors.  But they are wonderful experts and elders in the field of yoga.

To hear them is to listen to a great deal of accumulated wisdom.  It is grounded knowledge of how yoga works in real people's bodies.

I listened to one interview with Judith Hanson Lasater.  She has been teaching yoga for over thirty years.  She was a founder of the magazine Yoga Journal.  She has written several books about yoga.  She is also a physical therapist.

She made the point that as a yoga teacher and a physical therapist, she sees some possible problems with the way yoga is being practiced.  She notices a real tendency in the current practice of yoga in America toward students and teachers trying for hyper mobility.  She talks about the hamstrings having a normal, average flexibility of 90 degrees.  She states, "a person can have a good life with 90 degrees of flexibility in their hamstrings."

In yoga across America, people are trying to accomplish so much more flexibility than that.  She compared yoga to ballet, with hyper mobility being encouraged in both disciplines.

She ended by saying that as a physical therapist, not much that a person can do to their body is worse than hyper mobility.  As we age, we lose strength.  That muscular strength can keep a hyper mobile joint stable,  But as we age, that declines.

It is a good point she makes.  I wonder what people are doing to themselves with the hot, driving, forceful yoga.  That is not how it is practiced in India.  (Although there are certainly hyper mobile yogis in India who seem no worse for wear as they age.)  It is basically a gentle practice in India.

I think building strength is a good part of yoga.  And some flexibility, too.  And balance.  I see it as a three legged stool, with those three as the legs.  Flexibility is a good thing, I think, when it is achieved slowly and steadily, without force or strain.

I am not sure there is just one answer to this question that she raised.  I think yoga as an industry would do well to slow down a little and build some wisdom into the way it is practiced.  It is easy to get caught up in the practice and find yourself pushing toward a goal.  We are told to work toward defeating ego on the mat.  And then we push ourselves to do a hot, driving practice.

I think there is room for both.  I would like to see yoga become more introspective and careful.  It has so much to offer to people when it is done slowly and steadily.

9 Comments to Yoga Elders:

strona internetowa on Friday, December 05, 2014 8:13 PM
After the main your pregnancy with my baby eager to ensure the best factors to get the Mirrors encourage the dvd zip section of the room

chanel on Monday, February 02, 2015 2:30 AM
Indeed, the actual design tools such as the reproduction wrist watches as well as rollers may be used however styling golf irons should be prevented additionally be cautious when using the tools because normal utilization may deteriorate

acupuncture north ryde on Friday, February 13, 2015 1:12 AM
I also appreciate that building strength is a good part of yoga. This is really a good informative blog where I have got what I was looking forward to know. That is great job indeed. Thanks and wish to get more valuable info in the next.

physical therapy office lafayette co on Friday, March 13, 2015 12:40 PM
Impressed..Yoga is very good for everyone health,, it will work as like as message therapy....

physical therapist lafayette on Friday, March 13, 2015 1:34 PM
I do appreciate this type of work. It is a way of helping people, decrease peoples stress by doing business or giving them perfect service....!!!!!! Wish you very good luck, And please Keep doing this type of work perfectly. Thanks!!!!

Holly Barlow on Tuesday, September 01, 2015 8:59 AM
I've truly generally heard that kids/teens wish to read about the protagonist this is a little over the age of there're. So if you do, We believe Emily's affirmation that there ought to be somewhat more area regarding eighteen pertaining to YA fictional protagnoists.

reflexology london on Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:28 AM
It's very of great help for me. Appreciate it regarding finding the time to discuss this particular, Business oriented Real estate property Review. I'm highly over it and also enjoy finding out more about this matter. If possible, when you achieve experience, can you head bringing up-to-date your site to comprehend data.

Swami Maheshwarananda on Monday, June 06, 2016 7:35 AM
This is very different kinds of news regarding yoga. i really like it and improve my basic knowledge.

the best essays on Friday, June 09, 2017 9:55 AM
Yoga is a good exercise for the relaxation of your body and mind. It is being said that yoga has the ability to calm your soul and hence it keeps you healthy be relieving your stress. Yoga is beneficial for all sorts of bodies as it relaxed the muscles.