Opposite Day

I can gnaw on a thought for a long time.  Like some old pit bull, I can lie around worrying some bone I have to pick with someone for a long time.  I can spend a lot of my life being right.

The question is this, though, "how much energy am I wasting being right?"  Is it worth it to be right this long?  How much of my life passes by with me worrying, fighting, obsessing, feeling sad and unworthy?  Is there another way?

Yoga offers some wisdom about this.  In the Yoga Sutras (a 2500 year old book of poetry in Sanskrit that is something like a bible of yoga), there is a verse that talks about this.  It goes, "pratipaksa bhavanam".  That means, "think the opposite."

So what if the next time you feel like you might fail at something, you took this advice and pratipaksa-ed that bhavanam all over the place?  What if you cultivated the opposite thought: "Oh no!  What if I am a great success?!"

Can't really hurt to try, now can it?

One thing yoga is great at is getting you to move into new positions and feel what it feels like to be upside down, or facing directly into your foot, or some other unexpected place.  It gets us out of our comfort zones.  And we have the chance to look at things from an opposite place, an unfamiliar perspective.  In this way, life takes on three dimensions and so do we, right along with it.

My friend and stellar yoga teacher, Lavonia Elberton (yes, she's a drag queen), is a guest on my yoga channel on youTube, Yoga Makes You Well.  She based her video on this idea of cultivating the opposite thought by demonstrating poses that she really doesn't like.  Check her out at http://youtu.be/4CE-_TsWaIw

12 Comments to Opposite Day:

cheap wedding dresses on Saturday, June 22, 2013 1:31 AM
Record Breaking Price For Patek Philippe Watch At Auction

Wholesale Costumes on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:22 AM
It is so good! welcome to my homepage.

soccer uniforms replica on Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:07 AM
Are you confused of the packaging process? Well, the film approaches the back of a long hollow conical tube, or the forming tube.

fake watches on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:59 PM
Typically the dial might be mother-of-pearl; the ultra-modern circulation might be self-winding as well as a power park near forty eight numerous hours.

fake chanel bags on Monday, September 23, 2013 5:40 AM
Quickly later on 1932, the actual notify tote had been launched. These days, the actual sprightly tote can be obtained status 5 canvases, specifically, Monogram, Damier, Idylle, Multicolore additional Epi leather-based.

coleole.eu on Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:02 AM
Another new feature is the OTA capability of the Premium SE series. This service automatically alerts you when there is an Over the Air firmware update available for the Android operating system. I have experienced this on another device so I knew what to expect.

http://bestessaywriter.org on Friday, November 15, 2013 4:41 AM
I'm research more information about Yoga much like me focusing on an healthy lifestyle. Thanks publishing details and it is currently turning out to be simpler to comprehensive this specific undertaking.

Goldenhea Rtpres on Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:19 PM
Obviously, usually the one place where Apple may be the leader is its application store that provides more than 140, 000 applications for your iPad by Nov 2011.

armani exchange uk watches on Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:31 PM
This post is worthy of appreciation, looking forward to more exciting!

www on Monday, August 25, 2014 1:15 AM
In the forex market you possibly can choose in between amount of many models You may well decide to slender curtains window shading plus window treatments with the applicable color choice they'll match the effective purpose

adresy on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 7:56 AM
better and even more high-priced, along with purchase a good quality carpet If you hopes to such the decor is usually required but not just poor

Indian Stock Market Tips on Monday, May 16, 2016 7:30 AM
This alignment gives a better opportunity for a better half things in the world.