Adventures in Making a Yoga Video

Adventures in Making a Yoga Video

One thing I love about yoga is that there is always more to learn about it.  I always wanted to make a yoga video and post it on YouTube- and now I have!  It was not as hard as I imagined nor was it as easy as I hoped.  Some things I have learned so far:

Plan a fluid sequence in advance
That sounds like a no-brainer, right?  But there is something that happens once that camera is rolling that makes the flow less fluid. I found that I could do the flow on the right side of the body and then try it on the left and forget what I had just done.  Pause, freak out, retake the whole thing.  Argh!

Think about those transitions from side-to-side
How easy will it be for your students at home or at work to follow what you are doing?  Will they have to crane their necks to follow your sequence?  Are they upside down, peeking through their legs at the computer screen?  So maybe that is not a problem.  You cannot move the computer around like you would do in class, but try to think about how easy it is for the person to follow you.

Getting my whole self in the screen
I took the video three times before I figured out how to get my hand to be in the frame the entire time.  Remember that the viewers could be absolute beginners to yoga.  They will want to see that hand that is off the top of the screen.  They are following your every move like baby ducks.

To narrate or to voice-over, that is the question
Narrating as you go is probably simpler if you have little computer expertise, but it does add another challenge to the filming process.  Not only do you need to memorize the whole routine (or cue it on a dry erase board off-screen), but you need to remember what cues to give and when.

How much talking is enough and how much is too much?
I border on being obsessed with yoga, but that may not be true of my students, live or virtual.  How much information do they really need in order to get the most benefit from their practice?  How much quiet do they need?  On video, there is the chance they will lose interest with too much silence.  In class, they probably won’t walk out if they hold a pose for two minutes in silence.  But with a yoga video, they may very well click to another video that is more engaging.

It’s a process
My first yoga video is a silent movie.  I was too nervous to speak as I did the poses and I know too little about editing to add a voice-over… yet.  But I posted it to my website nonetheless.  And a friend of mine who does video editing checked it out and offered to help me with the next one.  The adventure continues…

Check it out
Here is the link to see my five minute video that took a few hours to create.  Let me know what you think!
Visit my channel on YouTube at Yoga Makes You Well
Sun salutation2013-04-08 13.37.54

13 Comments to Adventures in Making a Yoga Video :

medical essay on Thursday, June 13, 2013 4:58 AM
When I honor myself, I am loving myself. For many of us, the verb "loving" is active, meaning that if I say I am "loving" myself, then I must be hugging and kissing, etc.

rolex watches on Saturday, June 22, 2013 1:30 AM
Recommendations for the purchase of watches

pokies777.com on Saturday, June 22, 2013 1:59 AM
They are following your every move like baby ducks.

Optimanet Tax Services on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 4:25 AM
Great blog article about this topic,I have been lately in your blog once or twice now.I just wanted to say hi and show my thanks for the information provided….

Wholesale Costumes on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:23 AM
It is so good! welcome to my homepage.

Seo Expert Services In Jaipur on Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:57 AM
Pause, freak out, retake the whole thing. Argh!

soccer jersey replica on Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:08 AM
Then the film is pulled downward around the outside of the tube. You can bond the film by melting the seam edges together actually.

Fashion Designing Institute in Jaipur on Saturday, September 07, 2013 5:24 AM
Pause, freak out, retake the whole thing. Argh!

animatie video online on Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:40 PM
Hi Suzanne! Good to hear about that you have taken a step for making video. Actually to make a video is not difficult but to make a quality video is very much tough task and that's why need to be a professional on this issue. But still you have done very well and hope that your yoga video will get tremendous popularity for sure. Good luck:)

adres www on Monday, August 25, 2014 9:29 PM
Check is usually a large effectiveness despite the fact that flooring that will be in addition resistant to seepage and easy that will clean hundred percentage will be able to produce people regarding all of our safety and also the top quality of done

dubai videography on Sunday, September 28, 2014 4:05 AM
Videographer in Dubai as the amalgamation of a film is part of the wedding arranges. The craft of Dubai Dubai videography began over three decades back.

sdfas on Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:52 AM
Goolse

www.boundlessproductions.ca on Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:53 AM
There is the shot they will lose enthusiasm with an excessive amount of hush. In class, they presumably won't exit in the event that they hold a stance for two minutes peacefully.