Why does yoga work?

Why does yoga work?
What exactly does it do? As I sit down to write this brief article, I am compelled to mix my experience with the data and try to find some middle ground. Studies do not corroborate most of the health claims that yoga makes. Or maybe they are supported to a small degree. Yet, unlike most things, yoga does improve almost every body that it touches. It improves almost every mind that it touches. Why is that? What claims can be made? What reasonable conclusions can be reached about yoga?

Longevity
Yoga is a long-lived activity. The fact that it has survived as a system of alignment and an ethical discipline for 2.5 millenia tells you that it works. Things that do not work do not stay around that long. So now, let’s change the conversation. It works… but what does it do? What can we say for sure about yoga practice?

Alignment
Yoga aligns breath and movement. It aligns intention with action. It aligns strength with flexibility. It is a discipline of alignment.

Stretch
Yoga stretches the body. The fascial layer which wraps tissues throughout the body is stretched through all the twists and lunges and deep bends. This stretching and holding of the pose while deepening and focusing the breath makes something happen. Next time, it is easier to get into that pose.

Suppleness
Yoga introduces suppleness to the body. As we age, we get hard in spots where we used to be soft. Yoga allows those hard spots to soften. One good question to ask is why we got hard in the first place. It holds some clues as to what is happening when we soften up again.
I looked up “suppleness” in the dictionary. It means “yielding, soft, bending without breaking”. This is all true about yoga. But one thing I appreciate the most about yoga is that it balances that yielding quality with strength.

Strength
As you do your one hundredth chatturunga dandasana, you find out you are stronger than you thought. Overly flexible people may find that they used to be able to bend more than they can now that they have been practicing yoga for a while. That is because strength and flexibility have an inverse relationship. As one increases, the other decreases. Yoga builds them both, so that the suppleness that is built in the body’s soft tissues is not weakness or flaccidity. It balances the strength as well, by keeping it from being a rigid, hard, outer body type of strength. Yoga’s strength comes from within.

Inner body becomes toned
Bodybuilders build a body that looks good. They can become extremely strong outwardly. But their bodies have major imbalances and weaknesses when they are tested. All that strength turns into weakness because they fatigue so quickly. This is a result of the way they build their strength. It is for show, a display of power. Yoga does not build the outer layer of muscle like bodybuilding does. You may not look very strong. But the strength comes from the inner layer of muscles. It is not forced. It endures. Deep power. As this inner strength becomes apparent, the outer appearance of strength is not as important. A remarkable thing happens.

People soften up
Once that core tone is established, the outer layers which were holding the rigid tone to create the appearance of strength can relax and be soft. This allows more levels of personality and consciousness to open up. As people become truly deeply strong and rooted, they are able to open up to more feminine qualities like creativity and they express their inner light more readily.

As the body is, so is the mind
When your body becomes strong and flexible, your mind and spirit follow. Things that used to really upset you no longer have the same impact. Your reflexes are better physically and also mentally and spiritually. Yoga helps you build up awareness of your own thoughts and feelings and slows down the reaction time to any event. In that slowed reaction time, you become able to make better choices. Do I want to react to that in anger or do I want to walk away? Do I want to pursue that friendship or do I want to explore a different friendship? Do I want to worry about that thing that I have no control over or do I want to let it go? There is great power in that awareness and that newfound ability to choose

12 Comments to Why does yoga work?:

muscle shirt on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:59 PM
Everyone spending huge amounts for better fitness and I prefer pure foods and perfect instruction for attractive six pack abs.

china packages tours on Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:02 PM
My spouse and I stumbled over here by a different page and thought I might as well check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to going over your web page for a second time.

Suzanne Anderson on Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:12 PM
Thanks so much for stopping by and even more for following and telling me about it! It means the world.

beijing tour on Friday, May 17, 2013 5:59 PM
A formidable share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing slightly analysis on this. And he in fact purchased me breakfast because I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying more on this topic. If possible, as you turn into expertise, would you thoughts updating your blog with extra particulars? It's highly helpful for me. Large thumb up for this weblog publish!

is it safe to travel to tibet on Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:59 AM
I am also commenting to let you understand of the fine encounter my cousin's girl developed going through your web site. She mastered lots of details, with the inclusion of what it's like to possess a very effective teaching nature to get others quite simply learn certain specialized matters. You actually did more than her desires. Thank you for churning out the effective, dependable, educational as well as cool guidance on this topic to Evelyn.

thenew style of celine beyond the crossbody bag in 2013 on Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:26 PM
At the Medieval Period , everyone refuse to be a common person. celine is no doubt to be the friend of boys . doctors choose the celine just because the gorgeous design and transcendental handicraft. The hollow out attract many fans for celine bags . Delmer Booker ANYA HINDMARCH Zac Posen Manolo Blahnik and so on are all conquered by the moving cel

overstock foot massager on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:31 PM
An added important aspect is that if you are a senior citizen, travel insurance pertaining to pensioners is something that is important to really take into account. The old you are, the harder at risk you will be for making something negative happen to you while in another country. If you are not necessarily covered by a few comprehensive insurance coverage, you could have many serious challenges. Thanks for discussing your hints on this website.

cheap fashion jewelry on Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:44 AM
Have you ever considered creating an ebook or guest authoring on other blogs? I have a blog centered on the same topics you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my subscribers would enjoy your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e mail.

LED Lighting on Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:13 AM
A ring light is a circle of LED bulbs which fits around your camera lens. It allows you to get close to a subject fast. You don’t have to set up a separate lighting system.

raytrim on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 9:35 PM
Good post,and like it very much,i will share it.

radio shack tablets for sale on Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:24 AM
An aPad many a time reminds you of the iPad. The back-face of the tablet has an essential iPad touch. These cheap Android tablets are well built with an aluminium outfit, but at the same time they are not that heavy as you might think. The screen is a 7-inch 800x480 display.

musical songs for altos on Monday, September 29, 2014 2:32 AM
Thanks for your interest. You seems pretty knowledgeable about this topic yourself and your website covers the topic nicely.